Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdc - bdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello all,
Can some one give me more insight on the captioned. I am totally zero on the said.
Please help me

I can only assume that you are requesting information on PDCs and BDCs?

Firstly, before understanding PDCs and BDCs, you need to know what the D stands for. In this case D is for "Domain." Now Microsoft use the word "Domain" to mean something like "..a method of grouping users and workstations so as to enable centralised management, and universal access to resources with a single account."

PDC and BDC are 3 letter acronyms standing for Primary Domain Controller and Backup Domain Controller.

The PDC is the master copy of all user and computer accounts within your Windows NT Domain. ALL changes happen on the PDC. There can only be 1 PDC in a single domain.

The BDC is (surprising as it may seem) the backup to the PDC. The BDC is updated by the PDC every 15 minutes with changes to user & compuer accounts (such as passwords, group membership, etc). There can be many hundreds of BDCs in a single domain.

A PDC or BDC can only belong to one domain, and once they are setup as domain controllers cannot (technically) be moved to a different domain (without a complete re-install).

If you would like more details ask more questions.

If this wasn't what you were after, then you should make your question a little clearer.
Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

Thanks SAM,
But i need more details on how to convert BDC as PDC., what system related data are required and the like. Any specific web-site where it is in more detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back