Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCTel Modem HSP 56 MR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorpheusJC

Technical User
Jul 8, 2005
US
First time posting here and I'm very encouraged to see some very knowledgeable people here. I hope you guys can help me.

For the past several days I have trying to install a winmodem to no avail. I ran Mt. Everest Home Ed. and found out the follwing information:

AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
MB: PC Chips M 810 DLU
MB chipset: Sis 740
BIOS: AMI
Modem: PCTel Modem HSP 56 MR

Initially the customer stated he was experiencing very slow internet connections and fooled around with MSCONFIG and when that didn't work - he foolishly changed something in the Device Mangler. It was at this point the customer realized how deep he was and decided to bring it in for repair. *sigh*

Long story short - I went on PC Tel's website and DLed the drivers for the HSP modem. And now I've got another problem. When the OS boots up, the hardware wizard comes up saying it's detected new hardware and keeps asking for the PCI driver. when I click on 'Cancel', the wizard comes up again and says it needs to install the PCI Universal Serial Bus driver.

OS = Win 98 SE. I've tried using my Win98 CD to in an effort to get the hardware wizard to extract the file it wants but no luck. I'm wondering at this point, if i need to install the MB chipset driver but looking at PC Tel's website, there does not seem to be a chipset installer available for DL.

If anyone here has some helpful pointers in getting this damn modem to install properly - I sure would appreciate it. Thank you much.

Is this a real modem or one built into the motherboard? Have you downloaded the drivers for the motherboard yet?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back