Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcserver 330 serverRAID and external disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiftybmg

Programmer
Feb 24, 2005
US
I have a beautiful old pc330 server running Linux, and the internal raid array is up and running great.

I can't see external drives, though.

I have a Primergy 700 disk array, with one bank of 3 drives connected to the external scsi port of the server. I read somewhere that the external port is connected to an onboard adaptec controller. Does this mean I need to intstall adaptec drivers in my kernel to be able to see the external disks ? The CD drive is bootable, so it must be connected to the adaptec controller, not the raid cage, and Linux can read from it fine.

I'd also appreciate if anyone can help me locate a voltage regulator for the cpu board [ 11Y ] for a 300 PII MMX.

Thanks
savvas

Problem solved. Recompile the kernel [2.4.26] with the serverRAID in the kernel and the aic7xxx as a module. DON'T USE THE aic98xx ! When the machine starts up, the serverRAID array is initialised first, then the module loads and the external disks are visible as sdc, sdd and sde. [ 3 disks in my case ].

It took a lot of time, and peach mampoer to figure that one out.

If that is a FRU 12J2699 VRM you need, I have found a source. {That's what my PCNet325's use..}

If another FRU, try Googling that FRU.

I found prices from $10 to $250, so don't take the first one.

I am trying to get RAID going with the 325's and Debian; thus far, I can't get to first base -- the installers all lock if the boards are installed. (See my thread of yesterday on this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back