Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCs stuck in reboot loop or missing System32 files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABOD

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
GB
Hi all,

In the company I work for, hundreds of Windows XP PC's have stopped booting up.
Either they get stuck in a reboot loop or state missing files in System32.

In all cases, running a chkdsk /r from the Windows XP CD resolves the problem.
But I want to know what's causing this as it's very serious and time consuming.

I believe personally (I've not told management yet) that the powersave software that they pushed out to all the PCs on the domain has caused the problem as it all started happening after this. Pretty much the day after it was pushed out.
The software is Certero Powerstudio. I spoke to Certero and they didn't think their software could cause this problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas what could cause this to happen and affect hundreds of PCs?
Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks,
R

If the PC's are BSOD'ing and re-booting automatically then use Nir Sofer's BlueScreenView to quickly check the likely cause of the problem using the Caused By Driver and/or Caused By Address column headers in the top pane. This will only work if the minidump files are created before the automatic reboot.

(PS - Just my opinion but I think having the PC's left to 'Automatically restart' just needlessly complicates troubleshooting.)

I forgot to mention... whilst the problem may well end up being the result of the new software, don't discount the possibility of a recent Windows Security Update if the problems started following the last "Patch Tuesday" on Feb 11th. There's been a few bad patches pushed out recently across the Windows range. Have a look at some of the problems some users experienced in this post. Scroll down to the comments and start reading from post #61 about the last "Patch Tuesday" fallout, particularly post #100.

Sorry... I meant start reading from post #768... duh!

Slow down for a minute. First thing to do: Turn OFF "Automatic Restart on System Failure" so you can look at the blue screen. Then make sure that the blue screens are common across multiple PCs. Record blue screen error/report it here.

state missing files in System32
Which ones are being reported as missing.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

There is never a BSOD occurring.
It is either in a reboot loop or mentions a system32 file missing on bootup (SAM for example). It's not always the same file.
The problem has been happening since about October 2013.

Extra info....

a lot of our PCs also get UNS.exe errors on shutdown. could this be the cause I wonder?
UNS.exe is part of the Intel Management Engine

You don't know that there isn't a BSOD occurring if it reboots before you see it. That's why I suggested turning that off just to be sure.

The problem has been happening since about October 2013
And the IT staff hasn't been fired yet? Wow, very tolerant management.

Well.... you'll be off XP before end of support so the problem will end.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back