Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC's getting a voice IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceaserx

Technical User
Apr 14, 2008
ZA
Hi

I have a client that uses a Linux DHCP server and we have a Mitel phone system with an active DHCP server. When they have a power failure the Linux box takes much longer than the Mitel to boot and then the pc's start getting voice IP addresses.

The data is on Vlan 1 and the voice on Vlan 2. The port that the Mitel connects to is tagged for Vlan 1(Data) and untagged for Vlan 2(Voice). The reason for this is so that certain voice applications used from PC's can access the voice. I know I can just set the data tagging to "no" on the Mitel's port but then i wont be able to access the voice from their data range.

Is there a way for me to prevent the pc's from getting the wrong IP on switch level? They have a Procurve 3500 as a core and 4 x 2520G's.

What do you mean you won't be able to access the voice?? The voice vlan should be tagged and data untagged. The Mitel controller should have dhcp scopes configured for the voice and your Linux box should be configured for the data.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back