Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCMCIA Slot giving error messages, not detecting devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
I have a user that whenever he places a different card (such as a wireless card) into his PCMCIA slot, the slot doesn't detect the device (and tells him this).

He only has one slot and goes back and forth between 2 PCMCIA cards (one for internet connection, the other for communication between a software and device for work).

I did have this guy working last week...basically I rolled back the drivers and he worked fine after that. However this weekend and today something happened (who knows?) and its not detecting either card.

Also we did update the drivers, but that's what gave us the original error message and where the issue started.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking its a bad PCMCIA slot...

or bent pins on either the card or the slot

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Update - turns out the PC Card we were inserting was bad. Everytime we installed it, the PC Card would load the wrong drivers, so any other PC card that was switched out became messed up.

Oh and I found out the user was hot-swapping them.

Hot-swapping is allowed on PC-Cards. Well, it will not damage the hardware to do so. And in theory, I said in theory, the operating system shall be able to detect the insertion of the card and load the appropriate drivers accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back