Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcmcia floppy not listed in explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crasher948

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
ok i have a pcmcia floppy disk that i have attached to my notebook, and the "new hardware installed" icon thingy shows up when i put it in, but the floppy will not show up in explorer and i cannot access it directly either (type in "a:\" into explorer bar). my computer is running windows xp pro with all M$ updates installed, and the pcmcia floppy in question is a sony fa-p1 (i think it's somewhat old).

If it's old, then XP may not have the driver for it.

forgot to say this, but well, i have actually tried it on another notebook running winxp home and it worked w/o problems.

Make sure that PCMCIA is enabled in your notebook's BIOS, and that there's no problem with it in Device Manager.

If that's ok, then check in Device Manager on both notebooks to see if the same driver is being used for the PCMCIA FD.
If not, then you will have to install the different driver on your notebook.

If the drivers are the same on both notebooks, then your PCMCIA slot may be defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back