Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCMCIA flash memory card size - 3600 routers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverhairb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2008
US
I've looked around the Cisco documentation to try to determine the maximum size PCMCIA flash memory card for 3640 and 3660 routers. I can only find that Cisco offers cards up to 20meg. That's a bit small for some of the IOS images, particularly IOS v12.4. It also seems like it would be nice to just pop in a card and reload to use a different IOS

Can these routers handle larger PCMCIA flash memory cards? Maybe 32meg or 64 meg? (Still small by today's standards.)

[the other] Bill

Thanks, Billy.

I found that links earlier and saved the pdf's of both.

I got a couple of 8meg cards with one of the 3640s. Saved the IOS from system flash to the card so that I can boot off of it when I upgrade the flash on the motherboard. Would have been nice if I could have done that with the 3660, but the IOS image on that router is over the size limit.

[the other] Bill

Read up on Pumpkin TFTP server (or a TFTP server of choice) and save the IOS from the 3660 to that server (say, your laptop/desktop) then edit the "configuration register" (believe it will be 0x2142 to boot from TFTP)! And whalla.. You can still boot that IOS in the meantime without the PCMCIA cards! Hope that helps!

By the way, this link will show you how to boot from both the TFTP server as well as the flash device on a 3640.. I knew I had it somewhere.. LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

Excellent! That's the ticket.

Isn't it also the case that when there is no image loaded into flash that the system will try to first boot from a PCMCIA flash card then from tftp?

Bill

[the other] Bill

FYI, I had already copied all the IOS images to an tftp server just as a back-up. Also had copied one of the 3640 IOS images from flash to an 8meg PCMCIA card.

[the other] Bill

Thanks. I lost the link to this. Saved the pdf.

With the bad weather moving in, I'll probably head over to your side of the river tomorrow evening after rush hour. Will call your cell before I head out.

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back