Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCL XL Error when printing from Outlook/MSWord 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshHind

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
AU
Just installed a new HP LJ9000 printer for a dept and when they print from Outlook and possibly MSWord they get their output followed by a sheet with the following message:
PCL XL error
Warning: Illegal Media Source

I've tried to find a solution but to no avail. Hopefully someone can help me.

Cheers, Ash.

The error message implies that you have requested the printer to load paper from a paper source (tray) which is not configured on the device.

Thanks DansDadUK. It is odd that it happens for some output and not others. Could it be that the users have to change all their documents? It doesn't make sense that they would.

Cheers, Ash.

Does it happen on new documents or only on pre-made documents. These applications format the documents based on the default printer driver at the time of creation.

make sure the new driver is the default, open your document and go into page setup. Make sure the setting are correct. Ok your way out, save, then try printing.

also make sure they are using the correct driver and not one from an older model. The codes for paper source are different between many printers as many printers have more than two cassettes these days.

Strange that it printed it out the error. Usually I have seen the error on the control panel.

Try removing the check-mark from "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing" in the Printing Options. This fixed the problem for me.

I am having the same Problem
However I am getting one machine with
PCL XL ERROR
Waring IllegalMediasource
and another with
PCL XL ERROR
Subsystem : KERNEL

Error : Illegal Tag
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 508

Any other Ideas I will Try the above Fixes and see what happens.

Catch Me I AM FALLING

The 'Illegal Tag' error will have occurred because the printer is expecting a valid Operator Tag byte at that point; obviously it hasn't got one, implying that the print stream is corrupt.

A possible clue is the Operator value '0x1b'; this is the value that has been read instead of the expected tag (and it is, of course, the escape character, as used extensively in the PCL language, but not PCLXL).

If the problem is easily reproducible, do a 'print to file' of the problem print request, and post ther resultant file someone I can read it from.
I could then analyse it for you and perhaps give more detail as to what is happening.

I had the same problem and found that it was a driver probel. I loaded the latest driver onto the printer server and it fixed it.. The priner in question was a HP 2100 the driver I installed was LASERJET 2100 PCL6

I have a networked HP 1200 that occasionally spits out a page that says "PCL XL Error - Warning: Undefined Font Not Removed - MSPCXLFONT nnn"

Any ideas as to how to best resolve this? Reinstall the drivers or drop back and punt from PCL5e?

Use of a PCL5e driver will obviously mean that you will no longer get PCLXL (PCL6) error messages.

As regards this particular error message:
"PCL XL Error - Warning: Undefined Font Not Removed - MSPCXLFONT nnn"

This implies that the job stream contains a RemoveFont operator to delete a temporarily downloaded font named 'MSPCLXLFONT nnn', but that the corresponding download action (BeginFont ... etc.) for a font of that name has not been encountered.
This implies a driver error; if you can't get an updated driver, you might avoid the error by only choosing printer-resident fonts in your application.

I get both the kernel error and the illegalmediasource error for a LJ8000. I downloaded the most current driver and changed from the PCL6 driver to the PCL5e driver and still have the problem. Now the PC's do not recognize the envelope feeder. Grrrr! I am going to delete the printer from the server and reinstall it with my finger and toes crossed. Kaytee

Just wondering if you resolved your problem Kaytee. We are having this problem more and more with our HP printers and as yet, no resolution. I have also tried different drivers to no avail.

If you are getting PCLXL errors, having reverted to use of a PCL5 driver, this perhaps implies one of two things:[ul]
[li]The printer personality is set to 'PCLXL' rather than 'auto'[/li]
[li]The printer firmware is a fault, in erroneously thinking it is in PCLXL mode (normally entered only via the '@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCLXL' statement)[/li]
[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back