Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCIe vs PCIX SAS card in P520 express

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpn1

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
US
I am building a P520 Express server. I want to split the backplane so I can connect 3 of the disk drives to the internal SAS controller and the other 3 to an added SAS card. I have 2 cards available IBM feature 5901 which is a PCIe 4X sas card and an IBM 5912 which is a PCIX 4X sas card.

My question is which card to use. The 5901 PCIe card is a serial interface with a bus speed of 2.5 Ghz. The 5912 PCIX is a parallel interface with a bus speed of 133Mhz.

My assumption is to use the PCIe card which is newer technology, but is what makes me wonder is why is the PCIe card a lower feature code and costs less to purchase. I would think the newer card would have a higher feature code and cost more.

I'm wondering what other users are using for adding in additional SAS controllers. When having to choose from the 5901 PCIe 4X SAS card and the 5912 PCIX 4X SAS card.

Any discussion is welcome.

Ooopps sorry about that.

I should have been more specific as to the server machine type. The server I am using is a Power6 520 Express, 8203-E4A with processor feature 5634.

Model 8203-E4A 2-core 4.2GHz (rPerf = 15.95) (CPW 8300)

The IBM Sales Manual is the place to start with all such questions:

(#5901) - PCIe Dual-x4 SAS Adapter

The #5901 PCIe Dual-4x SAS Adapter is a low-profile short form factor adapter which supports the attachment of SAS disk, tape, and DVD using a pair of mini SAS 4x connectors. From a high level perspective, it is functionally equivalent to the #5912 PCI-X SAS adapter and provides a high-performance connection to SAS devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back