Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI-X to PCI-E issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev1322

MIS
May 27, 2003
US

I am curretly supporting a Compaq Proliant DL580R server which has 4 Compaq StorageWorks Arrays attached via 2 dual Compaq 5312 Smart Array controller cards.The users have purchased an HP Proliant DL380 G5 server to replace the current server. The new server has the PCI-E slots. This may sound crazy, but I was told that there is a card out there somewhere that we can put in the new server that will enable them to connect the old Storage Works Arrays to the new server even though the slots are different (PCI-X and PCI-E). I don't beleive it. Can anyone verify?

I guess I'm not done yet:). Now that I know that there is such a card out there, do you think that we will lose any data from the storageweoks array if we move the dual controller cards from the old server to the new server?

hi,
physically speaking, you don't loose data. Array info are
stored in Disks (to be used when a card fails) and on flash card for every normal boot.
The problem can be if in that disks there are OS,pieces of program as SQL Server, or other. If there are just plane files, when, in the new server you'll have installed card device driver, you'll see disks and inside partitions.
May be you have to change letter, WITHOUT, remake partitions.
bye
vic

Thanks. I appreciate your help with this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back