Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI USB driver for W98

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTreby

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2003
GB
Anyone know where I can download a "PCI Universal Serial Bus" driver for windows 98?

Having just installed a USB card to a 5 year old computer which previously had no USB the system is not detecting any devices attached via the USB ports, and in the devices list the PCI USB bus shows up with the yellow question mark, because there is no driver. I know Microsoft will not supply one for W98. Anyone know where there is one?

If the driver for the card didn't come with the machine, try running WindowsUpdate and seeing if you can get one from there.
Win98SE certainly supports USB out of the box, but from what you say you are probably running windows 98 first edition, in which the USB support was far more limited.

John

Alternatively, driverguide.com is your friend. :)

I have 98 FE ....and my USB is great....except the fact it's 1.1 not 2.0 (came this way)
Is the card 2.0?
didn't the card come with a driver diskette?
even so, you may not get the 2.0 data rate 60mb/sec....and 1.1 is just 1.5mb/sec.

On the 98 CD go to \tools\reskit\diagnose there's a Usbview.exe viewer

You need a "Universal Serial Bus Controller" listed as a device in Device Manager
and these two subs categories (or similar)

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
USBDrivers:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbhub.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\uhcd.sys
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbd.sys
C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD (Ntkern.vxd)
-----------------------------------------

USB Root hub
Drivers;
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbhub.sys
C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD (Ntkern.vxd)

These drivers are in the 98 CD.....however you'll need to know your main HDD controller.....depending on how old the system is
You can download this free little System utility to find sys info

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Thanks guys.

The card is USB2.0 and this is Windows 98, not 98SE.

The card came from Maplin, but is totally unbranded, with no manufacturer contact info or even name. There is a disc, and the instructions are to install the 'NEC PCI to USB Host Controller' and 'USB Root Hub' - both of which it has done successfully - 2 instances of each in Device Manager under 'Universal Serial Bus Controller', and when the OS finds the 'Universal Serial Bus Driver' to then press Cancel and run a program on the disc. I have done this, the program appears to run ok, and I reboot as requested, but the program does not appear to have worked, as Device Manager still lists 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' under 'Other devices' with the yellow question mark against it. I have tried using the USB ports anyway, just in case, but nothing is detected (probably as you would expect).

Microsoft do not support USB in W98, so Windows Update does not help.

Have tried driverguide.com, but couldn't find anything there.

On the W98 CD my 'usbview' file is apparently corrupt - or so it says when I try to run it.

Unless anyone has any more ideas I am about to remove the card and get my money back from Maplin - I guess USB2 and W98 are just not compatiable after all.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back