Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI USB card wants openhci.sys - its not there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigz

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
DE
Hi, Running w98 on p133 with 96mb ram
got, 2d, 3d, sound, tv card, &modem on my pci's and isa's.
The USB card is PCI
And, it recognises it on boot up, gets to instaling the driver, and it then says it cant find openhci.sys on the CD, or in windows.
The manafaturer says it should auto setup in w98, and there are no drivers around, apart from updated openhci.sys's - and im not sure whether I should do that just yet.
Any help would be tops.. Ta

I'm not familiar with add-on USB cards, but I'd recommend the same as I would recommend for any PC upgrade component; Always get the latest driver for your operating system from the manufacturer's website - the ones that come with most products on CDs/floppies tend to be out of date or buggy.

If the .sys driver is missing, the component will not function, so it's definitely worth hunting out a copy.

I hope this helps

openhci.sys

By default, this file is not loaded with Win98. You will need a copy of this file to get the USB working.......

USB Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI) host controllers.

You will need a Windows 98 or Win98 SE disk,,,,,,, or updates, if you can get those.

Or, use the "apart from updated openhci.sys's" you have.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think its sorted,
The installation should have been totally automatic, and manfacturers website, said ALL W98's had drivers incorpirated - so support (and drivers) couldnt be found anywhere.
Anyways, during trying to install the card again. I noticed that although it was looking for openhci.sys - it was looking for it in a .cab file (name excapes me now) but, after a little trial and error(one by one folder selection) it has been correctly installed to my system.
Hurray!

One thing is now bugging me.
A USB webcam - which I had NO i.d. for.
I have managed to posotivley i.d. it now, and it comes from the manafacturer - Viewquest.
I can access their website, but only the index page. Any attempt to go deeper (drivers/support/FAQ) and it comes back with the response:

[downloads] Cannot Connect to Database!
SQL Server ªº Microsoft OLE DB ´£¨ÑªÌ [DBMSSOCN]¤@¯ëºô¸ô¿ù»~¡C½Ð°Ñ¾\ºô¸ô¤å¥ó¡C

Ive requested the drivers through emailing support, but they (emails) just come straight back at me.
If anyone knows of a mirror site, or even has the drivers for the 'Viewquest Desktop USB Webcam' - Then Id love to know.

You should make a new post for this new item (you will get more help that way,,,,,,,, instead of people dropping in on the USB).

> Just cut & paste your post from above to another new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back