Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI to PCI Bridge issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

brk1221

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
hi, I'm trying to install a Visiontek Radeon 3450 graphics card in my Dell Vostro 230 (Win7 Pro). After disabling the on-board adapter, shutting down, installing the new card, connecting one monitor, booting up, I get limited video and the os will not recognize the card. In device manager there is an error on "PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge". Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would remove the add-in card, then boot up and enable the built-in video. Then reboot.

Then check the device manager to see if that 'PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge' error is still there. If so, give us the information under the DETAILS tab of the device (the PCI\VEN string).

Wondering if you need to install your chipset drivers again. But wait and tell us if you have a device manager problem after putting things back as they were.

Update:
Looks like someone else has had the same problem with NO solution. Nice.

Putting things back to where they were there are no PCI errors in Device Manager

Sounds like you are just missing the adequate drivers for the new video card. If it came with a Driver CD, you'll need to run the setup from there, otherwise download and install the Catalyst drivers from the AMD site.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Re-ran the drivers from disk and from AMD site. No difference

Vacunita - did you read the link I posted? Other people have the same problem.

Can you post the PCI\VEN information from the Dev Mgr?

Strange.... does the driver setup say anything? Or is it just installing them and terminating?

Have you tried another slot? Or is that the only PCI slot available?

After a little research it does seem quite a bit widespread.

Not sure what else could be done...

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Did try another slot. Called Dell but the box is out of waranty. They want $60 with money back if they don't fix it. Seems strange that Dell recommended this card.

You can use a PCI-E card. It has:
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slot

Of course you'll be stuck with a PCI card. Why did you want to use a PCI card anyway? Other slots full?

Just wanted a graphics card for dual monitors. Bought the one Dell recommended for my Vostro 320.

Something tells me this motherboard can't handle this graphics card. Even though Dell's parts Dept recommended it.

I don't think it's THAT specific card. I think it's a PCI board in general. Makes NO sense though. A black eye for Dell if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back