Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Simple Communication Controller error trying to load Modem Driver 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

acsol

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
AU
Recently upgraded a Piii 450 to Windows XP Pro. The Modem is not detected. When trying to load Modem drivers manually or attempting to force windows to search for a modem I get a message "Found New Hardware PCI Simple Communications Controller" it fails to find a driver and still doesn't detect the modem. I have installed the modem drivers manually but when the modem is queried it fails. I have uninstalled the modem drivers and the PCI Simple communications controller through device manager both normally and in safe mode. Still no luck.

PCI simple communications device = MODEM
Uninstall the modem from device manager.Reinstall drivers for PCI simple communications controller and pick have disk, point it to the modem drivers disk.When it finishes installing the drivers it will find the modem itself and install it.

Thank you for your suggestions. I thought the communications device was probably the modem and the controller is the driver but i have tried everything i know along this line. I have uninstalled the modem through the device manager and tried to reinstall drivers for the PCI Simple Communications Controller using the original drivers cd and also with the latest drivers downloaded from the net. Still comes up with drivers not found. Thanks anyway.

Could quite possibly be the fact that the modem is not compatibile with XP. I had that problem, in the fact that Xp would detect, but could never load the correct drivers. After several phone call's to the companys support line (it was Trust, by the way), I found out that my moedm was not supported under 2000 or XP.

Scotsdude[bravo]

Try moving the Modem to a different PCI slot after you have installed the latest driver (supporting XP).
This problem is common to many different modems and some scanners.
It doses not appear to be XP driver related, but possibly a glitch in XP home/pro's hardware detection wizard.
( or D: all of the above)

I had similar problems with my modem. As a last resort I reinstalled XP and it then recognised my modem driver. Before that XP responded with an "invalid Data" message. In the end due to other problems with XP,I threw out it altogether and reverted to Win 2k pro. As it is at present, I do not recommend XP to anyone. Give it another year or so for MS to get all the bugs out of it. Regards from Bluewater on the Great Barrier Reef.

I recently upgraded my wife Laptop to Win 2000 Pro and had the same problem. I found that using a Windows Me driver for the modem corrected the problem and the modem is now working flawlessly.

U might try this also.... many time the sound card and the modem have problems. remove the modem and make sure all other devices are working 100%. many HSP modem have sound... and the drivers get confused. after all devices are working correctly. install the modem and follow the manufacture recommended installation process.

Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

I have also recently installed XP Pro on my PC P111 500, i am having the same problems with the modem detection, seems to be a popular fault. I am using an internal conexant 56k pci data fax voice, which worked fine on win ME. I have Dl numerous drivers from internet sites claiming they are Xp compatable but have had no success in updating driver. I have managed to hook up with the Generic modem that actually works and gets me on the net, however once connected, it emmits a very loud hissing sound(data transfer?, this cannot be turned down or off. If any of you have luck installing the conexant please let me know.

Col

I have had this problem when upgrading to Windows XP, and here is what I did to solve it. I have a PCTel HSP56 modem in the AMR (Audio Modem Riser) slot.

I'm guessing that the PCI Simple Communications Controller is a device to make the AMR slot look like a PCI slot to Windows. When XP asks for the driver for the PCI Simple Comm Controller, I pointed it to my system's original CD in the folder Modem\Driver\AMR\PCTel\Win2K and it successfully installs the modem. It's not a "signed" driver but it works.

Yes, that also is possible but to make sure u do not get those Dasterly B.S.O.D. errors from an unsigned driver... try this: If you have a piece of software that refuses to install because it says that you are not running Windows XP (you can simply edit): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/ProductName to say Microsoft Windows 2000 or ME instead of XP and it will install. You may also have to edit the version number or build number, depending on how hard the program tries to verify that you are installing on the correct OS. I had to do this for my Brothers MFC-7160 and it workes great, so I now have my scanner, printer, copy & answering machine working with XP.
PS: later they upgraded the drivers for XP..I also made Starband Satellite ISP function that way while Starband was not XP compatible.

Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

I am trying to install a modem into my computer. It keeps says Found New Hardware when I restart my comuter then it continues to try and install the PCI Cimple Communications Controller but it never does. Is there anywhere that I can download the driver for this on the internet.

I assume you got no disk of drivers when you obtained this modem. Look on the modem for either a make and model number, or note the numbers printed on the main chip. A search of the web using one or more of these names/numbers, etc., ought to produce some results.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Have you tried updating your mobo drivers? Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

TRY CHANGING PCI SLOT FIRST. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE THE PROBLEM THAT THE DRIVERS YOU ARE DOWNLOADING WONT BE MICROSOFT DIGITALLY CERTIFIED DRIVERS, SO EVEN WHEN YOU MANUALLY INSTALL, XP WILL STILL NOT DETECT YOUR MODEM.
TRY THIS, IT'S WORKED FOR ME:

GO AND ADD NEW HARDWARE FROM CONTROL PANEL, SELECT HARDWARE FORM LIST, OBVIOULSLY SELECT MODEM/PCI COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE, WHEN THE BOX APPEARS WITH A LIST OF KNOWN HARDWARE- YOU WILL NEED TO SELECT HAVE DISK.
THIS WILL GET ROUND THE PROBLEM THAT XP HAS WITH NON-CERTIFIED DRIVERS, IT WIL GIVE YOU THE CHOICE TO ACCEPT THE DRIVER INSTALL AND XP WILL USE THEM ON NEXT RE-BOOT.

IF THIS DONT WORK - BUY A NEW MODEM U CHEAP SKATES!!! £15 QUID!!!

One last thing, have you tried the "windows update" feature to see if it picks up a driver for you to use.?? probably wont...

Okay, I have Windows 2000 for the operating system and I'm getting the following error message: PCI Simple Communications Controller (Code 28). The modem worked in another machine with Windows 2000 as the OS.
How do I get rid of the PCI error message, so the modem will work?
Yes I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall the PCI Controller with no luck as well as the modem.

Reinstalling the latest Via 4 in 1 solved that exact problem for me.

Cheers..

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back