Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Serial Card IRQ issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spec01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2005
CA
Hello,

I have just installed a PCI Serial port card in a Dell Optiplex GX60. In the device manager it says the "device is working properly" and that there are no issues. I looked in the System Info and it says its using IRQ 18. Now as I remember Com1-Com3 share IRQ 3 and Com2-Com4 share IRQ 4. I have gone into the BIOS and it doesn't give me the option to change it to IRQ 4 it only changes it to 10,11,9. If anyone could possibly help me out it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

did you get an install disk with the card? if so then you need to use that. if not then go the the PCI manufacturer's websit and see if there is any help there.

This is how it works. What are you trying to accomplish?
You want a serial port on IRQ3 or IRQ4 as COM1 to COM4 you get an ISA card.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes I do have the drivers for the card and I have installed it and it says its working fine, but when I plug something into the Com port nothing happends. Its recognizing it in the BIOS and in the Device Manager but isn't giving off any signal.

What are you plugging into the port? What handshaking are you using?

Do you have any diagnostic tools?

9 pin or 25 pin connector?

Usual troubleshooting step would be to meter the TX and signal ground for -12 on TX and see if there is any transition when something is dumped to the port.

...Yes I do have the drivers for the card and I have installed it and it says its working fine". So what COM port is "it" telling you is assigned?

How are you trying to use this port? What application wants to utilize this serial connection? Since you've mentioned COM1,2,3 & 4, are we to assume that any on-board mobo COM ports are already in use?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back