Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Network controller resource conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaptlid

Technical User
Nov 26, 2006
US
Ok I am beyond stumped on how to fix this.

Here's what happened. My previous video card got partially fried. I wonder if that happened due to switching inputs on my dual input monitor!!!!
So a friend gave me an agp2x ati card. I put it in and now it doesn't want to play nice with my ethernet card.

This computer is ancient, bios version PheonixBios 4 release 6.
Unfortunately in the resource allocation screen it doesn't mention what irq's it assigns to what component.

The NIC card was initially in pci slot 1 as dell recommends in their technicians manual. It worked fine with the voodoo 3dfx card I had that fried. :(

I tried putting the nic card in pci slot 3 to force a new irq assignment. No dice.

I tried putting the motherboard in maintenance mode, again no dice.

I still get the error message:
Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller
Bus:00 Device:0F Function:00

The ethernet card is a realtek 8139c.
It's not fried as far as I can tell. Shines 2 solid lights and my router acknowledges a signal from it.

Anyone?

Thanks.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming this is a BIOS message not an operating system message...

It's possible that there is just a plain simple unresolvable conflict between the video adaptor and the network card. Can you try a different network card, i.e. one using a different chipset?

Make a note of any special settings then clear the BIOS by either removing the battery or activating the CLR CMOS jumper. Make sure the BIOS is back to manufacturer's defaults, and then recheck conflicts.

If you boot up into the operating system, what does Device Manager tell you about any conflicts?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi, it's a bios message.

I have already cleared the bios, it still hasn't helped. :(

I don't have a spare network card at the moment. I wish I did.

When I hit ESC on the keyboard from the POST screen, Win XP Pro loads normally and the nic is in the hidden devices section of device manager.

The NIC has jumpers, but they aren't for resetting an IRQ on the NIC. I have the spec sheet for the card. It says the jumpers are for power saving and wakeup LAN.

There is also a rotating switch for PCI ID selector. Range 0-3 according to the spec sheet.

I've seen in some BIOS set up screens, in the PCI section, a default setting for the Modem to use IRQ 3. Also there is a setting to assign an IRQ to the vid card "yes/no". Try playing with these to see if it accomplishes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back