Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI IRQ/USB Conflict problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomorrowman

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
I am using an IBM PC 300GL 6563-83G as part of a digital studio set-up. The problem is I am getting serious audio drop-out which are only cured by removing the USB connected MIDI interface, which for obvious reasons isn't an option.

I have a clean installation of Win2K using "Standard PC" setting to disable ACPI in the OS. ACPI can't be disabled in BIOS.

USB Controller, video board and audio card are all reported as sharing IRQ 11. I want to ensure that the pci audio card gets its own IRQ. I had hoped disabling ACPI in the OS would permit me to do this, but I can't see how.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

P

go into your device manager....under your sound card...(maybe has a splash mark) ...go into the properties of it and there should be a resources tab.....take the check mark out of use auto config...manually hardset the irq of your choice...careful not to conflict with another device....this should cure the media blues...good luck...

<<*[pipe]*Just Another Guru*[pipe]*>>

Shadow - thanks for your reply.

If only life were that easy! The auto config option is greyed-out and I think this is because ACPI is hard-set in the BIOS.

I have solved the actual issue by buying a much more expensive but much better quality USB-connected MIDI interface which has a more predictable draw on system resources so even though the &quot;cause&quot; of the problem probably remains the symptom is gone.

But thanks for your thought all the same.

Cheers

Tomorrowman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back