Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Bus IRQ Steering in Windows 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2001
IN
Hi,
I have the Intel 865GBF mainboard, with 2.8mhz processor, SATA 80GB and 512 DDR. I have been trying to install Windows 98se, but unable to boot into it. I have noticed that at the point of installation where it tries to detect the "plug n play" devices the system take a few minutes and then prompts for a reboot which is abnormal, but i successfully skipped this detection process and was able to load windows and when tried to install the devices especially the video and chipset, it hangs-up on me again. I found something intresting when i disabled the "PCI Bus IRQ Steering" entry in the device manager its boots up, by the way the system would go into the safe mode only(after i tricked it by not going thru the Detection process). Ne 1 got a way out, i need to install win98 for few programs i have to work. Please, advice.

try creating a new hardware profile and set the ACPI option in the REG (actually set the ACPI option 1st)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect
"ACPIOption" = 1

add this to the REG and then create/copy your hardware profile and give it a new name.

I don't know your mainboard specifically, and it's newer - so check the mobo manual documentation and visit the HDD manu website for a drive error checking utility....run Scandisk right after formatting possibly...ie, I can't think of what the actual problem is, so I'm tossing out some options to look at.
Oh...did you load the SATA drivers first thing...cause XP gives you this option before the OS install

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back