Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCCHIPS Motherboard Doesn't Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharonlover

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2004
US
Hello All,

I just bought a PCCHIPS M916 Motherboard. It's a Socket 478/800 MHz FSB/DDR400 RAM. The Mobo does not include on board video.

I followed the manufactuers installation instructions. I have a P4 3.0E fresh out the box, 512 PC3200 RAM, and an 8X AGP Nvidia GeForce FX5200. After installing all components and ensuring proper connectivity, I went to start the machine for a test run and got nothing.

The case comes on, the fan on the processor starts and that's it. The case power switch does not respond when trying to turn off, it only turns off n on with the power plug. Even with the front panel unplugged the power does the same.

I get nothing on screen, no beep codes, and the HDD do not spin up. I removed everything and started the machine back up for some beep codes and still recieve absolutely nothing. Even with the processor out, which when removed after a good half hour of troubleshooting, was not even hot!

Any ideas would be a great help.

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

Check the CMOS jumper, clear and make sure it is in the "run" position. If so:
Remove the motherboard from the case and set it on the box it came in. Connect power supply. Install memory (one stick), video card, and CPU (with fan). Momentarily touch the power on contacts with a small screwdriver. You'll get errors, but it should post. If not, one of those is bad. If post, look for case stand-off in wrong place, shorting mobo. If OK so far, start putting back together piece by piece. You may find anything from bad data cable to power to floppy on wrong (very common).

PCCHIPS sells their M/B with the CMOS battery off and the system won't run with it that way. Saves the battery during shipment.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I already checked the jumper setting for the cmos battery and it is in the correct 2,3 pin alignment.

I've removed everything from the mobo, and ran just power to the cpu, memory, and video card and still recieve nothing. Trying just the mobo, i still get nothing.

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

And have you tried micker377's suggestion about taking the M/B out of the case?
If it fails at that point with all the power connected as required you probably have a bad board.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i'm gonna try the mobo by itself out of the case when I get home...thanks for all the help guys/girls

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back