Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnyWhere, VPN, iBook, network, AirPort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Although my PC and iBook are both now happily sharing the cable modem connection, I have one remaining problem. I usually work from home, using the home PC to run the PC at work via a VPN connection and PCAnyWhere.
After getting everything set up, PCAnyWhere at home can no longer "see" the computer on the network at work.

I found this on the Symantec website:
"In order to connect to pcAnywhere hosts that are behind routers using Network Ad Translation, you need to use port forwarding. The ports that need to be forwarded are 5631 and 5632."

I used the Airport Admin utility on the iBook's Port Mapping tab to add these two ports as Public Ports, keeping the default IP addresses, then updated the base station with the changes and restarted the PC.

It did not fix the problem.

Did I miss a step or do something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

(Apple will say this is a PC problem and refuse to help me. Symantec will say it is a router problem and refuse to help me. The user community is my only hope! Otherwise, I will only be able to use my little network on weekends!)

codefellow:

I am going through the same thing you were when you posted this. Have you figured out your problem yet?

I am hoping that I missed the same step as you.

Where you ever able to connect to your office PC using pcAnywhere?

Do you get an error message?

Provide more information.

Eduardo

Eduardo:

My Problem is this:

I can make a connection if I have host and remote inside of LAN.
However, if I take the remote outside of the LAN, I can NOT make a connection from remote outside of LAN to Host inside of LAN.
I CAN make a connection the other way (Host outside, remote inside, but backwards from what I want). My network is as follows:

Host:
Connects to internet via DSL Connection.
Apple Airport2 (white) controls the DSL connection (static IP, Registered).
Apple Airport is DHCP server, NAT enabled.
LAN has Macs and PCs, host computer is running WIN98.
The Airport ports have been forwarded to proper IP address.
DHCP is enabled, but i know internal IP address of Host and in hasn't changed in forever and I will know if it does.

Remote:
Dial-up connection, running WinXP.

I have also tried WinVNC to make connection. This also will not work.

This evening I am going to hook host straight to DSL and try to connect, to see if I can pinpoint airport configuration as problem. I will post my results.

Please, any help or trouble shooting ideas welcome.

Conrad

Okay, I have done what I said I was going to.

If I place my host on the outside of the airport, I can get a connection with both PCAnywhere and WinVNC. That implicates the airport configuration.

Does anybody have any tips for Airport Config? Remember I did forward the ports (properly I think).

Conrad

PCanywhere & MS VPN the solution is INPUT & OUTPUT Filters... Under General... ISP interface, right click and then properties... then Input & output filters... set TCP 5361, and UND 5632 on both.... example:

Des... TCP 0 5631
Des... TCP 5631 0
Source... UDP 0 5632
Source... UDP 5632 0

That is all you need to do... no VNC... or any thing else!
Email me if you need help! Just remove the "XXX"
at XXXCallingDrGuruXXX@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back