Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere Video Problems, Remote Control Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kescor

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
US
I have been frequently having problems with PCAnywhere connection. The environment is as follows:

A remote office is connected through an IPSEC VPN Tunnel with the firewall disabled.

After having worked for years, suddenly, the two remote machines can connect to the host PC however the screen paints about half way and communications is lost.

I CAN connect to only one machine in the main office.

So, I figured I would swap out the machines at the remote office and ensure that the PCAnywhere works. At the main office (local network) both machines were able to communicate with the PCAnywhere host.

When I installed the machines at the remote location, the same video connection problem occurs, however both machines can connect to one machine at the main office.

I think I have ruled out hardware problems, but am perplexed with a possible networking problem.

Any ideas?

IF NOT, what software is good to remotely synchronize files?

Do you get the login prompt on the remote pcs when you connect to that office host? Assuming the host isn't running firewall software (if it is, make sure it has the latest ms patches and disable it for testing purposes), can you ping it by its IP over the VPN tunnel?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes, I was able to complete the PCAnywhere security login. After that completes the screen starts to paint and freezes before I can hit the ctrl-alt-delete to log into the windows machine.

No local firewall is running.

Try disabling the caching on the remotes:

Open the pcAnywhere Options dialog by following the steps for your version of pcAnywhere:
On the pcAnywhere 11.0/11.5 interface, click File > Preferences.
On the pcAnywhere 10.x interface, click Tools > Options.
On the pcAnywhere 9.x interface, click File > Application Options.
Click the Remote Operation tab.
Set the pcAnywhere cache file size to Disabled.
Once the connection is working, re-enable the cache.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back