Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere to Win 2k peer-to-peer problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMoll

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2003
Hi, trying to connect from our Windows 2000 based network to our sister company using PCAnywhere...

We have a 3Com LAN modem which I have successfully used to dial out with PCAnywhere and then back in to a PC also on our network with PCAnywhere installed - so I'm sure my end is OK.

I am able to connect to our sister company using "dial-up to private network" and can get access to the various PCs sitting on their network. Unfortunately this is not good enough for our accountant who wants to take control of his counterpart's PC remotely. When I try to do this using PCAnywhere it dials and starts to connect but after a short period the dialog box closes and nothing happens - no comms errors or any messages. Doesn't get to asking password dialog...

What's happening? Has it lost connection? Does it mean PCAnywhere is not running at the other end? Or not set-up correctly?

Both ends are running v11 of PCAnywhere, the guy at the other end assures me he has set it up OK but neither of us hs had much experience with PCAnywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, or other better options.

Tomorrow I will try to run the program he is interested in (Sage, an old DOS version) by mapping to the remote users hard drive - somehow I think this will be too slow...

We have set up many similar situations, only with dedicated modems at each end. We have always been able to resolve difficulties this way.

The outbound caller is the remote and the one-to-be-controlled is the host. Make sure that all settings match as to protocol, speed, etc. If you have enabled auto-login, you will not even see the login it is that quick. But depending on hardware and connection speed, it may take some time to have the modems negotiate properly.

Try to increase the timeout delay so the connection is not dropped prematurely. Also DEFINITELY enable hardware flow control (if the modems allow) and RTS/CTS.

Enable the logs. This will record what is going on. In the beginning, you might even want to record the entire session - also configurable within PCAnywhere.

If you are serious about using this dial-up remote control, I'd recommend at least a 700 MHz P3 or equivalent cpu and Windows 2000 Pro for consistent results. Unfortunately, the phone lines are a variable you cannot control.

For performance, look into setting up a VPN - it is much easier than it used to be and the hardware is inexpensive.

I would recommend forgetting about DOS apps. This is a GUI world now and even bean counters need to get with it. The remote control features of PCAnywhere are very stable but can be slow if your hardware is not fast enough.

Do you need to have a lan modem? It may have issues that are more easily avoided with a good, dedicated modem (especially if this is going to be a regular thing).

Gave up with PCAnywhere in the end but had success with something called Desktop Delivery. This allows you to connect in to a network then connect to a specific PC on the network using it's IP address/computer name. Can probably do the same on PCAnywhere but I was unable to work out how....

Can download Desktop Delivery here (it's free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back