Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere into home network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGlinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
I would like to establish a pcAnywhere host inside my home network. I have set up such connections at work before, but we have a router there where you can set up a DMZ host. I do not have a router in my home network.

I'm running a cable connection into a computer with 2 NICs. The first NIC is connected to the cable modem. The 2nd NIC is connected to my hub. I have my network set up so the NIC connected to my cable modem is not set up with file & printer sharing, the 2nd NIC is for my LAN and to give better security.

What I want to do is set up a pcAnywhere connection on my upstairs computer, which has only one ethernet connection - to the hub. That computer has an IP address in my LAN at home, but to the internet, it doesn't.

How would I set up a pcAnywhere connection that would be able to tap into that computer? I guess I would have to piggyback the connection across both NICs, which is what happens to internet traffic. But how?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
Ian

Ian, what are you using to share the connection? If it is ICS what version of windows are you using?

Basicly you need to forward ports to that computer upstairs. The way it would work is you would try to establish a connection to the IP address of your main computer, which would just forward the request to the private address of your second computer. If you are unable to forward ports, you can always just connect to your first computer w/ pcaw, then connect to your 2nd using your 1st.

The ports you need to forward are TCP 5631 and UDP 5632

Dan

I am using Win2k ICS.

Computer 1 (downstairs w/ the cable connection) is running Windows 2000.

Computer 2 (upstairs connected to Computer 1 via the hub) is running Windows 98.

Is it safe to forward those ports?

(I had thought about using that dual pcAnywhere connection, but I don't want to interrupt any users of Computer 1 when I connect to Computer 2 - so I'm trying to set up a connection straight through to Computer 2)

Thanks for the help so far!!

Ian

Yup, it will safe to foward those ports. Somone can only get on pcaw if the host is running, and they know the user/pass.

To foward ports in win2k ics, go to the properties of the nic that goes to the cable modem, sharing, settings, services. Add two services that point to the ip address of the 2nd computer, One for TCP 5631, and another for UDP 5632.

That should it!
Dan

dankelt - I followed your instructions but the connection isn't happening. It's timing out looking for the host.

Here's what I did:

I have pcAnywhere running and waiting for connections on my 2nd computer.

From my 1st computer (the one with the cable internet connection), I forwarded TCP port 5631 and UDP port 5632 to my 2nd computer's IP address.

I am at work right now and I am trying to establish the connection, but it's no go. I have the IP address from my 1st computer typed into pcaw's remote control settings (from the NIC connected to the cable modem).

The connection just times out. I can ping the IP fine, but something, somewhere isn't working correctly.

Can someone verify those are the correct ports to forward?

If so, does anyone have any ideas why this might not be working? I ... oh wait... I have zone alarm set up on my 1st computer... I wonder if it's blocking the attempt?

I'm going to call home and see if zone alarm's prompt is on the screen. I'll post another once I figure out if that's the problem.

Thanks
Ian

Nope. It wasn't Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm is letting pcAnywhere through. I'm not completely lost. I made my PC upstairs have a static IP... made SURE the aforementioned ports were being forwarded, but it still does not work. I can connect internally, meaning, I can type in my 192.168.0.* address and it connects fine. But once I type in my Computer 1's internet IP address, the connection times out.

Anyone else with any ideas? And can someone please verify if those are the correct ports to forward?

Ian

So you don't believe me, huh... ;-)

You can also change the port usage, I believe there is a link on that page that tells you how.
You better take a look at your Zone Alarm settings, I've never used it before so I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, but I believe that is the source of your problem.

I completely deactivated Zone Alarm and still can't get through.

I HAVE been testing the connection from my home... so I don't know if that's the problem... if you can follow me, I've been running the remote control from my 1st computer, trying to connect to the NIC INSIDE that computer (The cable modem NIC), which is forwarding the correct ports upstairs, but it's just timing out.

I'll try it from work now.

Ian

Do you have a fixed IP address for the first computer? You might want to check out to make sure that you are always using the correct WAN IP address.

Kim Leece

The IP address for the first computer is not fixed, but it rarely changes... I think every few months.

So that shouldn't be the problem.

I'm stumped.

Ian

Ian, you will not be able to test it from within your own local network, you will need to test it from work or some other place on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back