Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

woggie

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
CA
Hi all -

I'm replacing a client's old Windows machine with a new one and he doesn't have the original install disk for some software from a local vendor. The vendor includes on the install disk a licensed copy of pcAnywhere to facilitate support for their software. We'll get a replacement disk from them in about a week, but in the meantime, I've tried just restoring the folders from the old machine to the new one, and the vendor's software works just fine. The vendor confirms that it should do so as their install procedure doesn't register anything in Windows.

pcAnywhere launched just fine as well(!) but I'm not able to test it's functionality in communications as the only modem in the system is a winmodem and uses the virtual port COM5, which doesn't seem lend itself to setup in several programs, including pcAnywhere. I'm going to be installing a hardware modem shortly.

My question is, is it likely to work without going through the formal install procedure? Does that procedure register anything in the Windows Registry for pcAnywhere? I'm betting that it does and that the program won't work.

Thanx in advance, PaulW (woggie)

What version of PCAnywhere?

Either way if you look in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SYMANTEC

PcAnywhere adds a group of keys.

I can post them if you need them, but I think some depend on your connection. I can get 9.2v reg keys and 10.0v depending upon your needs.

Roger

Thanx Meldric (Roger) -

No, I don't need them. As I said, I'll be getting the vendor's disk in a few days. I was curious. I find that knowing what can't be done enhances one's experience nearly as much as knowing what can.

I'm not sure of the version but I'm positive it's an earlier one than 9. I'm also pretty sure that those registry keys are going to include some software registration information, eh?

(BTW, did I tell you I am Canadian? :))

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers, PaulW (woggie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back