Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere gives a black screen on 'connect' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weare

MIS
Nov 12, 2002
AU
I've just rebuilt my W2kAdvServ) server 'exactly' how it was previously. However, now when I connect to pcanywhere10 (by modem)on the server, using pcanywhere10 on the remote pc(W2k wstn), all I get is a cursor blinking in a (blank)black pcAnywhere window. If I close this window, pcanywhere prompts to end the session, so it's made the connection but doesn't want to go any further. (if I wait it times out after 10mins or so and closes by itself). Using tcp/ip via i/net, all is ok, it's just the modem connection that's causing problems. I've uninstalled, gone back to 9 & 9.2 & patched to 10.51 with no improvement.
Any ideas much appreciated

weare, it sounds like some other application is answering the modem. Have you installed RRAS or any other app that could possibly answer the modem.

Thanks Dankelt - there were no other apps trying to answer the modem, so after trawling through Symantec's answers relating to modem drivers, video drivers, line errors etc, etc I gave up on pcanywhere & enabled RAS. All now fine, except I'm not sure how to setup the routing correctly & the clients are given 169.254 ipaddresses when they connect, although the server's dhcp scope is 192.168.0.x.
When I connect to the server using vnc I need to use the server's ipadd to connect as the netbios name won't resolve.
As it all seems to work otherwise I'm happy, but would like to resolve these issues.

If I remember correctly, Win2K assigns ITSELF (we're talking your remote workstation) an IP address of 169.254.x.x if it doesn't see any DHPC server to request an IP address from. You need to check into how IP addresses are assigned to RAS connections, because your host machine isn't assigning one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back