Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere Firewall Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,
I have a small problem I would like some help with. First of all, let's just say when it comes to ports and networks I'm somewhat of a newbie. I want to install a PCAnywhere server on my home computer so I can connect to it from school. The only problem is I know there's a firewall blocking many ports on the school computers. I want wondering if setting PCAnywhere to use the default FTP (21) and HTTP (80) ports (which I know aren't blocked). Would this kind of a setup cause problems that could lead to a connection failure or not...?

Anyway, any information on how to get around this school firewall with PCAnywhere would be greatly appreciated.,
Thanks.

-White-Tiger-

Just adding a little information...

I haven't bought PCAnywhere yet, so if there`s any alternatives that would suit my needs (all I need a visual screen from where I can control the desktop and run applications) while being able to go around this damned firewall, it could be another possibility.

Thanks

Another nice NAI product called Remote Desktop 32.

Need help with pcAnywhere

hope i'm posting this in the right place.
i'm in new england, my dad is in florida. we both have pc anywhere 9.21 (9.0 upgrade) i'm running windows me, he has win 2000. (hence the upgrade) when we try to connect, him calling me, me calling him, voice first, etc, we get the message "connection timeout after a few seconds. any suggestions? he is the host, i'm the remote. Thanks, --Lucky
luckyvision@hotmail.com

I work with pcany all the time and change the port setting all the time for security reason, I think your in for trouble if you try to do this, first pcany uses two different type of ports udp and tcp ones for data, the other is status control. the ports you talk about are for ftp and http are not going to work because your firewall will not have a static route to your pc only. Try looking at the new os xp has a built in piece that works thur htp, this is a security risk, so you should ask your IT-professinal to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back