Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcanywhere Display Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwhite

Programmer
Oct 4, 2001
AU
I have my two home computers using Pcanywhere with NETbios as the protocol. When i open a remote session the screen display of the remote session starts off ok, then gradually deteriorates until it disappears entirely. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Just for clairification is it just the pcanywhere screen that goes away or does your entire screen go away?

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to let them and others know the information was of use.
|
|
V

The Pcanywhere screen i.e. the display of the remote computer screen. It flashes, strange characters are displayed, then it goes black.

What you need to do is set your host machine to answer on the third ring. What is happening is most likley due to the type of modem you have in your host machine. My bet would be that it has a caller ID function. When the phone company sends caller ID information it is between the first and second ring. If your host machine is set to answer on the first ring it will answer and then receive the ID information and then disconnect.
Just change the answer setting to the third ring and let me know if it worked :) Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of this post to let me and others know the information was useful.

The 2 Pcs are actually connected by a cross over cable not by dial up and pcanywhere is using NetBios as the protocol.

Ahhh darn I should have re-read your first post. Ok, back to the drawing board. Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of this post to let me and others know the information was useful.

What version of pcanywhere are you using as well as what OS are the machines that you are using?
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

V10.5.0 of pcAnywhere
Host PC is running Windows 98
Remote PC is running Windows 2000

The only thing I can think of at this point is to make sure that the video colors are set to 256 on both machines and then double check that the encription level is set exactly the same on both machines.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

I have set both to 256 and this now works well. It also works Ok (but not so well) if the host is 256 and the remote is higher.

Thanks very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back