Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere: Ctrl-Alt-Del button greyed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrigha

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
CA
I am using version 10.5 on a W98 system to dial into an NT system running 9.2. I cannot use Ctrl-Alt-Del button to log into the NT system because it is greyed out. I do not see why the button is greyed out.

Thanks.

Use the Symantec Knowledgebase to research your problem!

Send Ctrl+Alt+Del to host button is dimmed and not available when connected to a Windows NT or Windows 2000 host

Situation:
You are connected to a pcAnywhere host that is running under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 on an NTFS partition. You want to send a Ctrl+Alt+Del to the host, but the Send Ctrl+Alt+Del button is dimmed and not available.

Solution:
This problem can be related to one of three things:

Not running pcAnywhere as a service.
Running pcAnywhere in compatibility mode.
Improper permissions on the pcAnywhere data folder (when installed to an NTFS drive only).

Not running pcAnywhere as a service
You can only send Ctrl+Alt+Del to the host when pcAnywhere is run as a service. Refer to the document The limitations of not running pcAnywhere as a service for more information.

To run pcAnywhere as a service:
1. Start the computer and log on as local administrator.
2. Start pcAnywhere.
3. Click Hosts (Be a Host PC in pcAnywhere 9.x and earlier).
4. Right-click a host item, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Settings tab.
6. Check "Run as a service" and click OK.
7. Restart the computer.

Running pcAnywhere in compatibility mode
Depending upon various video problems, you may have set pcAnywhere to run in Compatibility mode. This mode will not allow you to send Ctrl+Alt+Del to the host. To disable compatibility mode, do the following:
1. Open pcAnywhere.
2. Click Tools, then click Options.
3. On the Host Operation tab, under Video mode selection, change the video mode to Default.
4. Click OK.
5. Reboot the computer.

NOTE: Compatibility mode is used to resolve video conflicts between the host and remote computers. After changing back to the Default video mode, you may encounter the problems that compatibility mode was meant to resolve. Returning to compatibility mode should resolve those problems.

Improper permissions on the pcAnywhere data folder

To change the permissions under Windows NT 4:
NOTE: You must be logged in to Windows NT with Administrative access to make these changes.

1. On the host computer, click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Locate and select the C:\WinNT\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\pcAnywhere folder.
3. Right-click the pcAnywhere folder, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Sharing tab, and then click Permissions.
5. Select every entry in the Name field, and then click Remove.
6. Click Add, select the Everyone entry, and then click Add.
7. Click OK.
8. Select the Everyone entry, and enable Full Control, Change, and Read permissions.
9. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Now when a remote connects to this host, the Ctrl+Alt+Del button will be available.

To change the permissions under Windows 2000:
NOTE: You must be logged in to Windows 2000 with Administrative access to make these changes.

1. On the host computer, click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Locate and select the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\pcAnywhere folder.
3. Right-click the pcAnywhere folder, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Sharing tab, and then enable Share this folder.
5. Click Permissions.
6. Select every entry in the Name field, and then click Remove.
7. Click Add, select the Everyone entry, and then click Add.
8. Click OK.
9. Select the Everyone entry, and enable Full Control, Change, and Read permissions.
10. Click OK, and then click OK again.

Now when a remote connects to this host, the Ctrl+Alt+Del button will be available.

Thanks for the tips. You pointed me in the right direction.

The button was not greyed out after changing the permissions on the folder but still nothing happened when I clicked it.
As it turned out it was the Novell GINA that was not setup to chain the the pcAnywhere GINA. Once I fixed that in the registery it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back