Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere connectivity problems with windows xp pro LAN PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klegy

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
GB
I am unable to connect a remote PCAnywhere client to a host PC running XP Pro behind an ADSL (micronet SP3354) router over a WAN. I have configured the router to allow port forwarding (TCP5631 and UDP5632) to the relevant XP LAN PC hosting PCAnywhere. I have fixed LAN IP addresses (as opposed to using DHCP) of the 192.168._._ form. I have tried putting the PCAnywhere host PC in the DMZ zone. A WAN IP address is automatically assigned every time the ADSL service is started which I use to try and connect from my remote.
I am able to ping the assigned WAN IP address and tracert leads me the destination.
I have been in touch with Symantec and Micronet whose suggestions have not solved the problem.
I have had no problems connecting to other hosts behind (different)routers in other destinations using the same methods.
Any suggestions ?

I'm not a pro and i'm sure this
is a question that has been asked
before but have you looked into
the xp firewall itself and made
sure it is not enabled?

Yes, the XP firewall is disabled (sorry forgot to mention this). No firewall software is running on the XP PC.

The ISP seems to have opened the relevant ports allowing me now to access the router using telnet. However I still can't connect to my PCAnywhere host. Getting closer. Is this an XP configuration problem ?

I'm sorry Klegy PC Anywhere is not something i'm very familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back