Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slapshot2761

Programmer
Aug 11, 2004
US
I just installed PCAnywhere 10.5.0 on my home computer. I want to know how i can connect to my pc from work. I used to have a website that I could go to where i could just press the "make a connection" button and then it would prompt me for my username and password to get to my computer. But i cant seem to find the website. So if anyone could help me connect to my computer at home, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

This is all covered in the pcAnywhere documentation (on the CD) but, at its most basic,...

Set pcAnywhere on your home PC to be a 'host'. The host service will need to be running and you'll need to know its IP address (which is usually served by DHCP so this will usually keep changing).

Set pcAnywhere on your work PC to be a 'remote'. Ensure it uses the same connection and authentication methods as the host. Point the remote connection to the host.

If your home PC and/or work PC are behind firewall's (and I sincerely hope both are) then it won't work without firewall/NAT configuration changes. (At work there may be organisation/company policies that specifically disallow remote access without using VPN.)

Hope this helps...

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back