Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCanywhere connection Home to home on Cox network... help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have yet to make the investemt, but I am on a tight budget...

Here is my situation:

I want to connect 2 computers that should be on the same segment oc the Cox Cable network. Both computers will be sitting behind linksys routers (home networks at each house). The routers are set up to be sending DHCP info to any connection computer in the home networks.

Can I use PCanywhere 10.5 to connect the two homes without having to purchase a second IP address from Cox, for the host computer?

Thanks for your help,
Bryan
A newbie Consultant that is almost in over his head (but how else do we learn?)

Bryan,

pcAnywhere is going to look for a unique IP address to connect to. Although I'm thinking that if you have both machines on the same IP address in different locations you should be able to setup the Microsoft network to connect them. Just make sure that your workgroup name is the same and that you have file and print sharing turned on. You will need to make sure you have your folders shared as well, right click with the mouse over the folder you want shared and select "Sharing" and follow the prompts.
Understand that I'm not sure if this will work but its something to try.
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back