Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcanywhere configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

itcons

Technical User
Apr 12, 2004
US
Hello all, I'm a newbie to Pcanywhere 10.5. I need some help on configuration. I read the manual, but still have a little trouble. Hope someone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

My computer will be acting as the host. I already created a connection tab & configured it for my tcp/ip. I double clicked the host icon & it displayed my ip in the status window. Now this is where I need help.

Setting up a caller
I created a caller, but i do not know what to enter in the Identification tab (login,password). Is this the same login used to bootup xp?

My second problem is configuring the remote
I created a remote, set it as tcp/ip. Now i need to edit the settings and enter the "Network host IP address". (Is this the IP I obtained earlier?)

Now on the remote computer... do I perform the exact tasks I did on the host in order for the connection to work?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Hey...

I assume you want to connect via tcp/ip.

On the host PC, start of pcanywhere and go into the hosts section. Edit the network entry. Go to the callers tab and creat a pcanhwere user. This user can be anything as it is not related to the windows users.

Double click the network entry to start it.

Now connecting to it... there are plenty of "depends" here. Is the host a home pc that you are connecting to? Is your home network behind a firewall? If you are not behind a firwall then from the remote pc enter the IP of the host. If you are behind the firwall you will not only have to open some ports, but also setup a NAT entry.

Remember that if you host PC has some kind of software firwall you will also need to open the pcAnywhere ports or you will not be able to connect.

Hope that helps a bit

Hey Tinram..the host computer is in my home and there is a router conected to it. Now since there is a router involved, when i double click the network icon to start the host, the IP address that appears in the "status window" is going to be the private IP of the host...correct?

But i need To obtain the routable Ip so i went to myipaddress.com The symantec manual states :
""Note: You must have your router configured with ports 5631 and 5632 open and mapped to the host before this will work.""
Do i use the private Ip to map the host or the routable ip?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you need to map the routable ip obtained by your router to the private ip your pc has. Basically you tell your router to open ports 5632 and 5632 and forward requests on those ports to the internal IP of your pc.

Then on the remote host, tell pcAnywhere to connect on the routable IP.

Ok I will be trying that tomorrow. Thanks again..Ill post an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back