Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOKA

Technical User
Sep 30, 2003
US
I connect to my work pc from home using company specified Nortell VPN and pcAnywhere. I just upgraded my computer from win98SE/pcAnywhere 8.0 to winXPhome/pcAnywhere 10.0. When I start pcAnywhere session, it keeps giving me an error tha says "could not find requested host". I set up pcAnywhere exactly as it was on 8.0, What can be causing this problem? Any help you lend would be highly appreciated!

I'm confused - is the host running at work or at home?
Why are you running a host at home then?

WinXPHome cannot connect to a domain, so if your office network is a domain you might have trouble creating a VPN connection, or once created, you might have trouble communicating to anything on the office LAN because you are not authenticated and don't get an IP from your DHCP.

SOKA, put your work computer's name and IP address in the local hosts file on your home computer, and you should be able to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back