Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere & SonicWall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjtbt

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I have an NT server in a remote building that I have no direct access to but it does have Internet access. In my building, we have a SonicWall SOHO/2 50-user Internet Security Appliance that we are using as a firewall. NAT is enabled on it and we have it configured so all the users in my building are going through the SOHO and a cable modem for Internet access using an IP address assigned to us through our ISP, RoadRunner.

What I would like to know is if it is possible and how I might be able to access this remote server with pcAnywhere ver 8.0. I have attempted to open up ports 5631 for TCP and 5632 for UDP with no success. Any suggestions?

we had the same issue. Unfortunatly you are going to have to upgrade.

I'm not real familiar with the SonicWall router, but I have configured one to work the way you want it to. I'm also not sure what model it was either. But I believe what you need to do is add a two new "services" that will forward the pcanywhere ports to the correct internal server. I can't say for sure exactly how to do this, as I do not have a SonicWall or a users Manual.

We use a LinkSys 4-port router and pcA 9.2 with a dynamic ip address. First we opened/forwarded TCP port 5631 and UDP port 5632. I always check/look at my "real" IP address before I leave the office. It's been 65.81.174.219 for about a week now but it changes furriously sometimes... so much so that I sometimes use a 24/7 type of music/chat download program like WinMX "just" to create a live interactive connection to the net which forces my carrier Bellsouth to leave my IP alone during that "session".

Then I envoke the pcAnywhere Host and hit the road. I'm able to log on remotely over TCP/IP using the "current" ip which gets me as far as my LinkSys router. Then, because the 2 ports are open AND because the one pc behind the router's opened ports is running pcA host with the TCP/IP checkbox checked I'm able to log on to that pc.

My one problem has been that about half the time I only get about one row of icons and then the connection locks or freezes. I'm currently playing around with the host pc's registry's TCP/IP "window size" which is currently set at 65535... Seems to help a little bit. Any help from you guys on that would sure be appreciated, too. This is all sort'a like black magic - nobody ANYwhere has been able to help me with that problem... Sometimes the same connection works FINE which really complicates my issue.

My email address is billtrail@bellsouth.net

Anyway, hope that helps you out.

Bill Trail
Penny Systems, Inc.
Macon, Georgia 11/6/2002 Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back