Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere - access issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvialn

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2000
US
Here's my situation: We have a computer being used solely as a host computer (also attached to our network server). From this computer, we are able to login through PCAnywhere to this computer, and access our database system (located on our network) by double clicking the icon on the desktop (of course). There are 2 people needing to have access to this computer, one needs full privileges, and the other, can have read access to our network information (because we do not want them changing editing anything). I know that when you create the users, you can also set their access rights. With the first one, the user can have full access to all drives. But the second user, I need to have only Read Access for the network drive. NOW...here's the problem: When I logon as the second user (read only rights to the network drive), I am unable to open our Access Database (on the network). Microsoft gives me an error that states that I cannot open the file b/c it is opened by another user. (Yet, if I log on as the first user, I am able to open the database even though people are already in it.) I know that the problem lies in the changing of permission from Read Access to Full Access on the network drive. But....I need this second user to be able to open up the database, yet not be allowed to change anything. Is this a different issue entirely, or is this fixable??? Please, anyone, help! Thanks! "Try everything at least once."

First of all, what platforms are the PC's on, what version of PCAnywhere and what database is it. One possible problem is the database may open a log file for the user which it will not be able to do for a read-only user.

The computer is working on Windows 98 (& our server is an NT system). The database is an Access 97. But....here's the problem. If I log on as the first user, I have no problems opening the dB. But, if I log on as the second user, (with Read Access to the Network), that's when I get that error. How can I check? "Try everything at least once."

On the NT server, check the user profile for the second user to see if it is setup correctly. I would setup the second user as a read-only on the server with access to that location only and allow PCAnywhere to have full access privledges, letting the NT server do the control as it is designed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back