Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere 10.5 TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

prustie

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
GB
Hi

I have used PCAnywhere through modem connection for several years to provide remote support but am a complete novice at using IP addresses and the Internet.

Have set up connections on my private network using IP addressing but now want to be able to connect into the network from a remote computer.

Do I need extra hardware in order to be able to do this? How do I find our the IP Addresses of the computers I want to connect?

Any help much appreciated

Malcolm Prust

Malcolm,

My experience with TCP/IP has been good so far, and as long as you aren't running any firewalls on the computers you're trying to connect to it should work fine. To determine the IP address for each machine, the only way that I know is to run ipconfig:

From the Start menu, click on Run
Type "cmd" in the line and click OK. This will load the DOS command prompt window.
Type "C:" and hit enter to ensure that you're looking on the C drive
Type "cd\" and enter to go to the C: root directory

Type "ipconfig" and hit enter

The output from ipconfig should contain a line that shows the IP address of the computer. Simply enter this IP address into the properties of the remote control file on your remote computer. Good Luck!

Kyle

I have a similar issue, but a little more complex.

I am running PC Anywhere 10.5. Both my computer and the computer I want to access remotely are behind Netgear FVS318 firewalls. I have opened a VPN tunnel between the two networks and I am able to browse files on my host computer using Start-Run-\\[hostIPaddress]\c$.

PCAW is configured to connect via TCP/IP. Both host and remote are set to use the default port settings. (If VPN is configured, why does it even need specific port settings? Shouldn't the VPN run invisibly to PCAW?) When I try to connect, I get the error, "Could not find the requested host."

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back