Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't Turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFMK

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
Hey Everyone,

I've got a bit of a problem. Last night my power supply died. I bought a new one and swapped it out..system booted up and worked great for about 40 mins..then out of no where it just turned off..at first i thought I blew a fuse..no luck though..I turned the PC back on and it was ok for about 20 more mins and then it shutoff again..I felt the fan and the top of the case..both were hot to the touch..I then tested the power supply on a different machine and it worked fine..any ideas as to what could be my problem?

Thanks,
Bryan

Sounds like it's overheating, but you seem to suspect as much.

Did you purchase a name-brand PS, or was it an el cheapo from a fly-by-night computer hack store? If it's the latter, you'll probably have to purchase some fans to help cool the system down. Some of those budget PS's can really heat up.

Another consideration is to check your BIOS settings. Whenever a system fails due to a power related problem, it can wreak havok on software settings...including and especially the BIOS. If the core voltage setting is altered even slightly, your system will overheat faster than you would expect.

Try entering the BIOS; select the default settings; then save and exit. Run the system like that for a while. If it stabilizes, you just have to adjust the BIOS settings carefully back to the optimal settings.

There is the slight chance that you have purchased a defective power supply. The only way to test that is to install it on a working system; and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Complacency is the rigor mortis of the soul.

Give more details about the PSU that you bought as well as what is in your system.

Are you sure it's powerful enough to run your system?

If you open up the case and direct a fan into it to aid cooling and your system then runs longer look at adding more ventelation to the box. Also check the heatsink and case fans you already have to make sure they are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back