Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't boot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noizz

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
BE
hi,

i'm having this problems for 3 weeks now. I just can't find a solution.

What happens:
--------------------------
When I boot my computer, windows gets loaded (windows 2K pro) after the blue bars appear, the PC stops loading and displays: "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

What i already tried:
- Disconnecting all PC hardware (mouse, keyboard, ...)
- I changed the harddrive with another containing "windows 2000 server"
- I reseted my BIOS via the jumper on the mobo, error: "checksum error"
- I measured the battery, it is 3 Volts
- I took out 1 memory chip, doesn't work
- I tried to flash my bios, didn't work

Strange fact:
- My CD-rom Drive works in Dos, after using windows 98 cd but my Floppy won't work

thx in advance
Noizz

replace the Floppy... or disable it in the BIOS... and see if that helps any... cuz it sounds like W2k is trying to access the Floppy and since it gets no response hangs...

Ben

You might want to post this problem on the W2K forum, I am sure you can get your answer there.

everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

i'll try to change the floppy altough i think that is not the problem.

i don't think this is a W2K problem, i think my bios is dead (can it be?). That is why i posted it here

thx :)
greetz
Noizz

Well if Windows starts then I don't think it's related to the floppy either.
The error message clearly indicates problems with the boot device - that being the hard drive.
And if you replaced the hard drive then my guess would be the IDE controller on the motherboard is faulty.

hi,

i disconnected my floppy drive, reseted the bios, seted my boot sequence to C only, and filled in NO FLOPPY in CMOS settings.

i rebooted > when windows starts loading it stops after a few blue bars.

i disconnected my cd-rom & floppy, reseted bios + did the configuration of the bios

same problem
what is going wrong?

thx in advance
Noizz

i ran the system in Safe Mode (windows 2000 pro)

then i can see a DOS screen loading all drivers

one of the last drivers;

drivers\NTFS.sys
drivers\NDIS.sys
drivers\MUP.sys

then the system halts and i get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (0x00000007B) error

greetz
Noizz

From what I've been able to find, it appears that most of these MUP.sys hangs are resolved by changing a piece of hardware. In one case, it was a pci card, in another the mouse was moved from ps2 to usb. I suggest doing the routing t/s ..minimize the system and add in components unitl you isolate the cause.

For people that are interested in the problem:

I finally discovered what the problem was. While I was installing windows 2000 Pro I got a "NON_PAGED_FILE_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"-error or something like that. So I took out one of my 2 memory chips. And it worked !

thanks for everyone for his advice

Greetz
Noizz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back