Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredsr

Technical User
Oct 7, 2010
US
About 10 days ago, we experienced a short power loss. Wife had to reboot a few times to get her PC up & running. When I checked mine, it was off & shouldn't have been as it's configured to reboot after power loss. A visual check showed 1 capaciter bulging & on the verge of leakin. I opted to replace my mobo. After installing it, I tried powering up ... nothing happened. I tried a new power supply & cord, new ribbon cable to the HD's, checked & double checked all connections with no results. The tower was connected to a quality surge suppressor so I think the blown capaciter was a co-incidence. Could the processor been damaged as well or did I get a defective mobo? Battery, Cpu & heatsink were all taken from the old mobo. Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

Fred

Know how you feel - there's a few suggestions here: thread602-1621321

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

some mobos ship with the CMOS CLEAR jumper on, and you have to remove it or move it to a diff position....

(not that we don't read the manual first, it was on the first page on mine..... spent a few min on it....)

Thanks for your input. Alas, the PC still will not boot. B-( I tried clearing the CMOS by switching positions & removing it; I pulled the CMOS battery & left it out overnight before replacing it, finally tried disconnecting all but the master drive. Press the on button (holding it for 2 minutes) & nothing happens. I have a test button on my power supply. When I press that all fans start & a red light comes on near the CMOS battery. Also, when plugged in, a green light comes on the mobo just above the jumper so I don’t think the PS is my problem (plus I tried replacing it with a new one I had). Any other ideas before I call the supplier & ask for a replacement?

Thanks again for your help, Fred

Just a wild thought, but sometimes those are the best. The tower is about 7 years old running XP Pro. Could the power failure have damaged the CMOS battery. [ponder] I pulled it out of the old mobo. Any thoughts?

Fred

Well, the CMOS battery is easily checked if you have a voltmeter or multimeter. If it's a round lithium cell (CR-2032) then it'll read about 3 volts. The side with the writing on it is the + ve terminal. With the battery out of the PC, any reading less than 3 volts requires replacement. But a dud battery rarely causes a boot problem. In fact the board should boot ok without it in at all...

Have you tried removing all the front panel connectors from the motherboard, i.e. power switch, reset, power l.e.d., and HDD l.e.d., etc? With those disconnected, carefully short out the two pins on the motherboard where the power switch was connected. You're now eliminating any front panel faults or malfunctions.

Is this motherboard back in the PC case? Take it out and place on a newspaper on the table, or some other non-conducting surface. Have ONLY the PSU connected to it. Short together the power switch pins on the board and see if it starts.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks Roger! I'll pull the mobo out as it's in the case. It may take a while to get back to you as it means removing everything else. Will let all know how that works.

Thanks again, Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back