Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC unable to connect to Windows Update Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwebb

Technical User
May 12, 2005
US
I have a PC running Windows XP (SP2) that previously would not update due to the Genuine Validation process failing. I was able to dowload and use the Gen Validation tool to resolve this part of the problem. Now, whether I enter the url manually, or click the the link within the Automatic Updates icon in control panel, the page nevr gets displayed. It just sits there with the dialogue "Waiting on I am able to reach every other imaginable site, and there are other PCs in the domain that have no problems connecting to the Windows Update site so I am sure it is not a network problem. After consulting discussion sites to resolve this, I have made the appropriate changes to the registry, run the regsvr32 command for the associated files and verified the settings for internet explorer, to no avail. Are there any other suggestions as to how I can resolve this?

Have your tried running Disk Cleanup, plus deleting your Temporary Internet Files?

When trying to access the Update site, you see a blank page

Windows Updates Fails After Upgrading to WindowsXP
thread779-1393612

This is the "classic" fix for all strange Windows Update problems.

Temporarily stop the automatic updates service.
Rename C:\windows\software distribution to C:\windows\software distribution-old
Rename C:\windows\windowsupdate.log to c:\windows\windowsupdate-old.log
restart the automatic updates service.

You cannot install some updates or programs

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back