Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancekidd

Technical User
Jan 26, 2009
US
I have a laptop about two years old that is now running Windows 7. Since I got a flat screen TV about a year ago, I can't find an efficient way to hook it up to the TV except with a regular monitor cable, which doesn't give sound.

My laptop doesn't have an S-Video port either and neither does my TV. I have digital sound inputs and the TV and can use the HDMI and Component cables.

Is there something that I could buy to plug into a USB port on my PC, that would plug into the Television so that I could have sound also? At the moment, the only thing I know to do is buy a monitor cable, but that doesn't give sound. I bought wheel of fortue the other day and hooked it up so that me and the kids could all play, but my cable is so short also that I had to sit right by the TV and play like I was Vanna, while they all shouted out letters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. I went on Google and looked up one site and contracted a bad virus, so I said to heck with it, I'll just ask someone that knows.

Most TV's have RCA audio inputs. So why not use a 3mm Head Phone jack to RCA Audio? Plug one end to the Headset Out in the laptop, and the other to the TV"s audio in.

Also get longer cables say 8 or 9 feet (roughly 3m) so you can sit back and run the show like Pat, instead of Vanna.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I used to use a laptop to stream movies to my HDTV. I just hooked a regular VGA cable for video and a headphone cable for audio. If my laptop had HDMI then I would have used that. Most new laptops come with HDMI, and most newer video cards for desktop PCs have HDMI ports on them as well. If our goal was to do it with a single cable then I would look for a way to accomodate HDMI.

If you wanted to get fancy you might try something like this:

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back