Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC to PC shorting out?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toraz

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
DE
I build PC´s but i need some serious help here.
i have just moved from the UK to live with my fiancee in Germany.
I am trying to connect both our PC´s to one cable modem.
The minute i place a crossover cable between the 2 Ethernet cards there is a loud bang and all the elctricity gets knocked out. I have tried changing the Ethernet card so that identical cards are in both PC´s and the cable but the same thing happens every time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

that doesn't sound good at all.

are you trying to use Internet Connection Sharing between the 2 systems? is the modem USB only? or does it have an ethernet port on it?

if it does have an ethernet port i would suggest getting a router and putting the modem into the router and then using straight thru cables to you PCs. this will also add some security to you from the net.

sounds more like a electric error on one of the pcs
take a little voltage checker and test voltage on the cases

Toraz
If your UTP cable color code looks like this then it is not a X-over cable. This is a diagram of the X-over cable ends Make sure that you are not using phone data cable either.

Irzyxel makes a very valid point, but don't just test on the outlet end make sure to test the card and the m/board as a piece of solder or wire might be bridging the pwr supplyto the card and if it is blowing house hold pwr supply then it has got to be a short directly from the PC Pwr Supply unit. Even though the Supply unit is fused it is probably not fused through the earth and causing you to blow house hold supply.

Let us know what yur finding are??

\\spaaski

ok we have solved it.
theres a mains fault on 1 wall socket, strange thing is you can run anything from it but if you try to connect the 2 computers with one using this socket then bang it knocks the mains off.
Thks for the advice anyway.

the problem is, that by connecting the two, you put voltage on the other pcs grounding, which should set of any secure fuse, and atleast will blow up the powersupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back