Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC time synch to Domain time (from non Domain PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambo2k

MIS
Feb 7, 2001
CA
I have some PC's running XP Pro that i need to synch the time on. These PC's are on the same physical network, yet not on the domain. I need to synch these PC's time to the domain. net time \\<name or IP> /set /y gives error 5 access denied.

Does anyone know how to synch a non domain (workgroup) PC to a computer on a DOMAIN or a DC?

Thanks!

The issue is that i need to synch to something on the DOMAAIN, however these PC's are WORKGROUP and the synch is not working. I am guessing that this is due to authentication.
Thanks

What happens if you runn the command without the /y switch? (which doesn't seem to be valid option anyway)

Same error, the /y forces a yes to the net time set command.

Stumped right now...

Where is the Server get its Time Sybchronization from or is it a manual adjustment made by you or does it have its own clock? Does the Server have an Internet Connection? Do the Workstations have an Internet Connection? Is there any way a Workstation can communicate with the Domain even if it is not a member?

How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows XP

Windows Time Service Tools and Settings

I am quoting from "Bcastner" here, from a missing thread -

"Set the PDC as authoratative,

Administrators can configure an internal time server as authoritative by using the net time command. If the administrator directs the command to the operations master, it may be necessary to reboot the server for the changes to take effect. For additional information, see the following Microsoft white paper:

The Windows Time Service

Set the workstations to use the PDC:

First, set the PDC as timeserver:
net time /your domain name /set

Second, Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

net stop w32time
w32tm –once
net start w32time

More information about the net time command is available at a command prompt if you type the following command:
net time /?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back