Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc stuck in boot loop after new HDD installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNA1967

MIS
Sep 11, 2002
GB
I'm trying to install a 20GB IBM deskstar drive into my pc, but when i boot it up, all I get is - press a key to reboot- When I press any key on the keyboard, it reboots to the same message. tried sticking a 98 startup disk in the floppy, as it's set to boot from this automatically, but same problem. Any ideas anyone?

is this a slave? or did you just install 98 windows on it and its a master os?

This is the only HDD on the pc. No OS installed yet.trying to load 98 onto it.

i hope you got a 98 installtion CD disk? a restore cd or bootup disk or in the floopy wont cut it.

Am I understanding this right. With bios set to boot from floppy drive as first boot device and a win98 boot floppy in the drive you still get 'press any key to reboot'?

So, is the floppy drive ok? Is the boot floppy ok? (Have you alternatives for either to try?). If you have a windows install CD, can you set bios to boot from CDROM and see if it will boot that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back