Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Starts, Then Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickeybj

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2010
US
Hello,

I can't get one of the PCs in my home to power on. It will start for a few seconds and then shuts down. I took the case off and could see the CPU fan and the PSU fan running for a few seconds before shutting down. So I know that it's getting power. I even installed a new power supply and got the same results. I blew the dust out of the CPU fan and heat sink, but that didn't seem to help either. It never even get to the point where it runs the POST. So I can't even get into the system setup utility. I'm looking for suggestions on what else I could try.

Thanks,
RBJ

Unplug everything except one stick of Ram if you have more than one. This includes Hard drives, optical drives, peripherals etc... unplug them all.

You want the PC to be pretty much empty. Only Processor, Fan, and memory. This should at least allow it to Post.

Also if you get any Beeps when it starts up, make note of them. These are codes for certain issues. Your Motherboard or PC manual should have a list of what the beep codes mean.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

If power supply is new and properly connected and the above suggestion yields nothing different, it sounds like a bad motherboard. The only last step I (personally) would take is to pull the motherboard out of the case and use the minimum (one stick of RAM, no hard or optical drives attached) and then short the PWR jumpers on the motherboard instead of using the power switch.

This bypasses everything but the absolute minimum and rules out the power switch and a short from motherboard to case.

I would doubt the power switch on this one, for sure, b/c it is powering up, however briefly. If the power switch were bad, it wouldn't make the connection between the 2 pins that you'd short.

Taking it out of the case could verify whether possibly the case is shorting out the board, but if this is not a new build, I also doubt that - ... well, so long as the case wasn't seriously damaged before the problem first occurred.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv1611 - How could you doubt me? No, I agree as well, but that would be the last step before I threw it against the wall so better to be 100% sure vs. 99% + a smashed motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestions. It IS a bad motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back