Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pc Setup for photoshop CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenshesk

Technical User
Jan 18, 2010
IE
I have Photoshop CS3 Extended on an old PC with 512Mb RAM, 80 Gb hard drive. Haven't use CS3 in about a year because system keeps crashing. I want to buy a new PC and would appreciate any advice you can give regarding hardware requirements. I've received some advise about having 2 separate HDDs, using SATA Drives and RAID 0 partitions but I'm a bit confused. Any advise would be appreciated.

Any computer you buy today is going to be an improvement (and sufficient for Photoshop CS3) - - - unless you are looking at a netbook.

RAID is optional. A second hard drive for Photoshop scratch has always been recommended - - see the manual. You could buy most any stock computer today and add your old 80GB drive to it as a scratch drive.

Hi

This is just my opinion but I would go with two hard drives and no raid.

I would rather have my hard drives independent of one another.

I back up all my data on the second hard drive using Norton Ghost.

This drive also has a complete backup of drive C: so that it can be restored using a boot DVD, in case the drive fails,
Windows crashes or I get some really bad virus or something.

As an added precaution I back up both of the drives in the computer to an external drive that can restore either drive as well just to be sure.

Don't scrimp on hard drive space, two 500 gig drives are very cheap now and you can get and external drive for about a hundred bucks.

If you have years of photos and job files as I do you can't be too safe.

If you wan't a really powerful computer at a fair price check out the basic Falcon Northwest Talon, or look at the specs.
Two of my friends have them and I have a more powerful version of one myself. Photoshop runs so fast it is hard to believe compared to my previous computer.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back