Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC runs very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna1609

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
I have a Dell with WinXP and it runs super slow. I tried cleaning everything up and it did not help. Any suggestions?

Well, some system specifications would help.

Like, processor make/model, amount of memory, type of video card, hard drive make/model/rpm/dma speed.

With more detailed information we can take better grabs at how to help you.

Cheers!

I ahve a Dell Dimension 4500 series intel pentium 4 processor at 2.0 GHz
256MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
64 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with TV out
80GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive (7200 RPM)
Microsoft Windows XP Home edition
3 COM PCI Remote Wake up Network Card
SB Live 1024 digital sound card
Norton AV 2002

I hope this will help. I have already deleted all temp files and ran a defrag. I checked for viruses and found none. I also connect to the internet with a 56K PCI telephony modem. and I connect using Netzero Highspeed. and the PC still runs ungodly sloe on and off the internet. please help me!

Well, my first suggestion would be to get your memory up to at least 512MB, as I think 256MB is a minimum to run XP at anything more than a snails pace.

Secondly, make sure you got the DMA66 type access enabled in your registry. By default XP will only run DMA33 (from what I have read). If you want to know how to configure this, you can read it here:

Also go into your device manager and for each drive controller channel (primary and secondary) doubleclick each one set the access type to "DMA if available" and if there is not another drive on that channel, set the other one to NONE so XP won't even try to load it.

If you use this PC mostly for gaming and Internet things, you might want to strip down the services that are running to free up some resources. I would suggest that you go to the following URL and read up a bit and disable the services you do not need.

Make sure your chipset, directx, video card and soundcard drivers are all updated too for best game performance.

As for the web, well, 56K is less than high-speed, not a whole lot I can say other than get broadband. ;)

Good luck!

Hi,
Also, if at SP1 level and you installed update #811493
when it came out , Uninstall it - it slows XP down ( a lot)

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back