Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc ramdomly reboots,restarts itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockindon

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
CA
Hi,iam just new,i just built my first pc.it's a intel p4 2.4(533),asus p4s8x motherboard,512mb ddr,and an ati radeon 8500 all in wonder video 128mb,when listening to music,gamming-medal of honor, ect. my pc reboots,restarts itself quite often. its a great machine except for this problem. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

You should probably check that you are supplying enough power to the motherboard. Your ATI and your processor are gonna pull a lot of power, and gamming and such are when they're working the hardest. I had a similar problem with my old ASUS as well and fixed it when I downgraded the power drain from my video card (changed from GForce to Voodoo :( ). ASUS should have provided a CD with some diagnostics tools too, so you might install them and see if they give you any hints, but my first guess would be power. What wattage of power suply are you running?

First, I would suspect a heat problem. Make sure all the fans are working properly.
Second, Might be bad ram. If you have 2 sticks, remove one and then switch them and see if the problem persists.
Third, The power supply might not be putting out enough for your system.

I had the same problem and no one could help. I finally changed everything and the problem stopped when I replaced the RAM stick. I and the dealer literally replaced everything but the RAM.

I learned the hard way, be thurough.

Also If you are using Windows XP make sure you have the settings for "startup and recovery" NOT to automatically restart. It`s in control panel\system\advanced tab. Now this may not cure your problem but it should stop your sytem automatically re booting and so your screen should show you an error message which may further help you in finding the problem. Hope this helps. If your unsure....Dont do it!

power supply seems to be fine,fans appear to be running,no virus detected.i sent an error report to microsoft, they blame a device driver but windows error log states that it rebooted because of a bugcheck.need to try to swap my ram.

Hey Rockin good to see ya on board buddy .
Yimmer

Well,i swapped the ram with no results,reformated c/,reinstalled windows xp,tried onboard sound,and swapped to a 64mb ati video (pci).I think iam down to the motherboard.Thanks again for all your support,hope i get this resolved soon.ROCKIN DON.

Be sure to check mistanapesis' suggestion. I had video driver problems when win2k first came out and had several blue screens, at which windows defaults to an automatic reboot. If you can see the blue screen, it'll at least tell you what caused it (often in unintelligible terms). ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Are you sure you put new ram in and just not the old chip. Ive seen this before in and chinnese movie (sience of the Ram)

I have the same EXACT problem with the same setup.. It seems to stop when I disable the onboard LAN... I feel your pain bro..

I guess you're running WinXP?
I have to ask...
Did you happen to install SP1??
If you did, try the installation again WITHOUT it. I had the same problem a little while back, but haven't had it since I re-installed without SP1

I resolved the problem with a new motherboard and processor,runs like a champ.I would like to thank everyone for their time,THANKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back