Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Powers Itself On 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I have a Dell XPS 8930 that I've had less than a year. In the last month or so it's been turning itself on in the wee hours of the night. Looking at the "uptime", it looks like it started at about 5am this morning. I would like this to stop!

I've Googled and found several "solutions", but none of them seem to apply to my situation. Those that may apply, don't seem to work.

It's a pretty standard Windows 10 installation with MS Office and Adobe Creative Cloud being the main apps installed. A few smaller things are installed, but those are the main/biggest things I have installed.

Anyone have any ideas?

1) Does it have wake on lan
2) Some Dells have a wake up time in their BIOS. It is supposed to switch on the PC in the morning so that everything is powered up when you get into work (look for Auto Power On)
3) When you shutdown, do you press the shift key when you shutdown? Since W8, the machine goes into hibernate when you shut down. To do a proper shutdown, press shift shutdown.

1) I don't believe wake on lan is on. I never set it on and it only started doing this about a month or two ago.

2) This is a BIOS setting? I'll look for it tonight.

3) I shut down using: Start -> Power -> Shut down

I'll check the BIOS tonight and let you know.

xwb, you rock! Wake on LAN was set in the BIOS. That's weird because it just started waking on its own in the last couple months.

Thanks a bunch! Stay healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back